Skip to main content

Transgender Students

Belfast Met recognises that there is a difference between physical sex and gender identity/ expression. Belfast Met will at no time discriminate against people on the grounds of their gender identity/ expression, including their transgender status. Where this document refers to ‘trans people/ students’, it has in mind anyone whose gender identity is different from the gender which they were assigned at birth.

All students, whether full-time or part-time, are advised to notify the College if they are transitioning. This is because the College has a duty of care to ensure that all students are supported at all times.

To help us to provide that support, a student who is changing their identity is advised to notify the College as soon as possible before application or after enrolment.

We understand that it might be problematic for trans students to produce official documentation such as photographic identification and birth certificates at enrolment and exam time. We therefore have in place a separate, confidential notification process to support trans students. However, if we are not aware of your status, we will be unable to provide this support.

For confidential notification, contact the Head of Student Support email:


Confidential Disclosure Process


Apply for/enrol on a course using your legal identity. If you do not already have a passport, birth certificate, deed poll, statutory declaration or similar document in your new name, note your new name in the ‘known as’ field when you apply.

Complete template Letter A and email it to to let us know that you are transgender and would like to be known in the College by a different name/identity.

You will be provided with the name of a member of staff who will contact you within five working days of receipt of the letter to arrange an informal chat. The purpose of the informal chat is to ensure that the correct details are recorded on the College database and to discuss any other support you may need during your time in the College.

For full-time students, a personal tutor will be allocated who will meet with you and agree any further actions or support required. This will be your contact person whilst on this course.

For part-time students, you will be provided with assurance that your details have been changed, where possible, and you can ask for additional support if you need it.

If you are concerned about the level of support you are receiving, or if any of the changes you expected have not been made, you should email: