Belfast Met recognises that there is a difference between physical sex and gender identity/ expression. Belfast Met will at no time discriminate against people on the grounds of their gender identity/ expression, including their transgender status. Where this document refers to ‘trans people/ students’, it has in mind anyone whose gender identity is different from the gender which they were assigned at birth.
All students, whether full-time or part-time, are advised to notify the College if they are transitioning. This is because the College has a duty of care to ensure that all students are supported at all times.
To help us to provide that support, a student who is changing their identity is advised to notify the College as soon as possible before application or after enrolment.
We understand that it might be problematic for trans students to produce official documentation such as photographic identification and birth certificates at enrolment and exam time. We therefore have in place a separate, confidential notification process to support trans students. However, if we are not aware of your status, we will be unable to provide this support.
For confidential notification, contact the Head of Student Support email: studentsupport[AT]belfastmet[DOT]ac[DOT]uk
Confidential Disclosure Process
1. Always apply/enrol for a course in your new identity before you notify the college that you have changed your gender identity;
2. Email studentsupport[AT]belfastmet[DOT]ac[DOT]uk using this template Letter A.
3. You will be contacted by the Head of Student Support and provided with a named contact person who will contact within five working days of receipt of the letter to arrange an informal meeting; The purpose of the informal meeting is to ensure that the correct details are on the college database and to discuss support and changes required to other records to allow you access to college services and incorporate this into an action plan;
4. For full time students - a personal tutor will be allocated who will meet with you and agree any further actions or support required. This will be your contact person whilst on this course;
5. For part time students - you will be provided with assurance that your details have been changed and you can opt to have additional support should that be required. The attached letter should also be completed to ensure that all college records are correct.Please also see the following documents:-
Transgender - information leaflet for students
Transgender Equality Policy Statement
Transgender notification process flowchart
Roles and Responsibilities