Is a Foundation Degree right for you?
There are many paths which can lead you to choosing to study a Foundation Degree.
Maybe you've just finished school and feel university isn't right for you, or maybe you’re not ready to enter the world of work just yet? Studying a Foundation Degree at Belfast Met could be the perfect path for you!
What is a Foundation Degree?
A Foundation Degree will give you the technical skills and academic knowledge required to progress in the workplace whilst gaining a Higher Education qualification. They are designed and delivered through partnerships between employers and the College. This means that as a graduate you will be equipped with the specific skills that employers are looking for.
Our Foundation Degrees are run in conjunction with top UK education provider including Queen’s University Belfast, Ulster University, The Open University and the University of Dundee.
Foundation Degrees will have considerably lower fees than a university, and you will also be entitled to a student loan while studying.
Foundation Degrees are an excellent steppingstone to progress onto a full degree programme, as they will help you gain entry into the second year of a related degree course.
These courses are designed and delivered in partnership between employers/employer organisations and universities, so as a graduate, you will be equipped with the specific skills, be it academic knowledge or technical expertise, that employers are looking for. At the same time, you’ll gain a higher education qualification recognised worldwide.
- Cost – Tuition fees are often less than the fees for an Honours degree at university.
- Work experience – All foundation degrees provide work experience which allows students to put their learning into practice.
- Route to university – Students who successfully complete a foundation degree may be offered a guaranteed route to an Honours degree at university.
- Skills gap – Foundation degrees are Level 5 qualifications – the level at which our Northern Ireland skills gap is greatest.
- Smaller classes – Enables more one-to-one contact with tutors.
View our Foundation Degrees