Degrees and Foundation Degrees
Our jobs market is ‘skills hungry’. The need for a workforce with higher skill
levels is growing and it’s making an impact right across the skills spectrum.
More and more people are upping their skills levels to answer the need. As each level increases their skills to gain next-level qualifications, those on the level below will also want to upskill to fill the gap.
Today, higher skills means those with Levels 4-8 on the qualifications framework. Belfast Met covers this skills spectrum, with Foundation Degrees and Higher National Diplomas across a huge choice of subjects and vocations. Find out more about the Levels of Study
Improve your skills and job prospects
These courses are designed and delivered in partnership between employers/employer organisations and universities, so as a graduate, you will be equipped with the specific skills, be it academic knowledge or technical expertise, that employers are looking for. At the same time you’ll gain a higher education qualification recognised worldwide.
Belfast Met Benefits
- Cost – Tuition fees are often less than the fees for an Honours degree at university.
- Work experience – All foundation degrees provide work experience which allows students to put their learning into practice.
- Route to university – Students who successfully complete a foundation degree or HND may be offered a guaranteed route to an Honours degree at university.
- Skills gap – Foundation degrees and HNDs are at level 4 and 5 – the level at which our Northern Ireland skills gap is greatest.
- Smaller classes – This happens often and enables more one-to-one contact with tutors.
An example of our Foundation Degrees include:
- Architectural Technology
- Biological Sciences
- Civil Engineering
- Counselling Studies
- Event Management
- Early Childhood Studies
- Science Health and Social Care
- Health, Physical Activity and Sport
- International Hospitality Management
- International Travel and Tourism Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Property, Planning and Housing
- Software Engineering
- Construction Engineering with Surveying
- Cloud and Application Development
- Cyber Security and Networking Infrastructure
- BSc (Hons) Social Work
- BSc (Hons) Fashion Production and Business (Validated by the OU)
- Professional Development in Leadership and Management
Over 75% of the 2020 workforce has now already completed their compulsory school education. Many of this workforce will need reskilling or to build on their skills in the near future.