This course leads to the Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language Studies which is awarded by IBSL.
This qualification aims to further learners’ experiences and development in communication through British Sign Language (BSL) with Deaf people on everyday topics involving work and social contexts.
At the end of the course, learners are expect to be able to:
• Understand and present information, ideas and opinions in a range of work-related and social contexts using BSL delivered at normal speed and in normally used social and work registers;
• Extract specific details and grasp overall meanings from a range of short passages in BSL delivered at normal speed and in normally used social and work registers, using varied language;
• Maintain business relationships and manage/follow uncomplicated negotiations relating to issues/concerns in your area of work delivered in BSL at normal speed and in normally used social and work registers;
• Take part in discussions relating to varied accounts, reports and instructions delivered in BSL at normal speed and in normally used social and work registers;
• Understand the main points and relevant details of news items, interviews, documentaries and social conversation delivered in BSL at normal speed and in normally used social and work registers, provided there are common interests;
• Develop interactive communication skills with Deaf people who have different cultural experiences and perspectives to your own and understand/appreciate why these differences exist;
The Level 3 Certificate in BSL Studies is suitable for those who:
• wish to acquire varied British Sign Language skills at normal speed and in normally used social and work registers for the purpose of working or interacting with Deaf people on a daily or regular basis;
• need to acquire varied BSL skills as part of a programme of study or professional development;
• are studying for personal development with a view to future employment;
• wish to progress from the Level 2 Certificate;
The qualification is divided into four units as follows:
IBSL3AUN: Understand Varied Signed Language in a range of work contexts K/602/4404
IBSL3ASN : Sign using varied language in a range of work contexts H/602/4403
IBSL3ADC : Interact with people from different countries or diverse cultures R/602/4431
All three units can be achieved separately, but the full Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language Studies can only be given if there is a PASS in each unit.
This course session is currently closed for enrolment/applications – it may be offered at a later date – please continue to check our website for updates.
Career Opportunities / Progression
Please talk to your teacher at the end of the course to discuss the best progression route for you.
You should have achieved the level 2 in British Sign Language and/or have completed the pre level 3 BSL course. You must be at least 16 years old to study at Belfast Metropolitan College.
All fees are set in accordance with DfE regulations.
Please see our calendar for the teaching dates and holidays. For information about payment and our refund policy please check the Fees & Finance section of our website.